Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rosetta

The things I'm sharing on this entry were inspired by Mesopotamian Literature. I came up with two ideas but I liked one more than the other. 

The first one is a product. It was inspired by how Mesopotamian Literature was recorded. I remember learning in class that they were carved into stones shaped like cylinders and then rolled onto clay. I thought this was pretty cool mainly because I was a Play-Doh kid growing up. I thought it would be fun to take this idea and turn it into something you could give people instead of just giving them store bought cards. 

Basically, you come up with a message, and this is then transferred to something similar to a tiny rolling pin. However, instead of this being carved into the rolling pin, it would be embossed and end up like a stamp. You could then add ink to the rolling pin, roll it on paper et voila! The person you gave this to can now read your message for him/her. I don't know if this is a great business idea, but it was fun coming up with it! 


Though I loved my little rolling pin idea, I couldn't stop myself from trying to design clothes using actual Mesopotamian Literature. For another class of mine in SoFA, I designed a collection inspired by J. R. R. Tolkien and I literally put paragraphs from Lord of the Rings onto clothes. I guess that's just the geek in me. I wanted to do something similar here. I designed an outfit (modeled by Jeyne) and used Mesopotamian Literature as the print of the dress. This dress is something I would wear myself and it could possibly turn into a real garment someday soon. We shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment